134 Hilbun Hall
Mississippi State, MS 39762
- 662) 325-2918
- EmailEmail Anatoli Afanasjev
- Hab. Ph.D., University of Latvia, 1999
- Ph.D. in Theoretical Nuclear Physics, Latvian Academy of Sciences, 1993
- M.S., Latvian State University, 1984
Prof. Afanasjev's research interests are related to the physical properties of atomic nuclei at normal and extreme conditions and the development of microscopic self-consistent theories. The nucleus is a bound system of nucleons which interact by the exchange of different mesons. This is a starting point of the relativistic mean field theory and current interests of Prof. Afanasjev are strongly connected with the development of this theory and its application to different nuclear phenomena. He is interested in the studies of the properties of superheavy nuclei, proton- and neutron-rich nuclei playing an important role in astrophysical processes, pairing correlations etc. One area of his interests is the response of nuclei to fast rotation. It provides a rich ground for new physical phenomena and test of microscopic theories. Physical phenomena such as smooth band termination and superdeformation at high spin were in focus of his attention. For example, the continuous transition from collective rotation at low spin to a non-collective single-particle state seen in smooth terminating bands is a unique feature of nuclei, not observed so far in other finite many-body quantum system His research is performed in close collaboration with world leading theoretical and experimental groups and requires the development of theoretical formalism, employing the methods of quantum many body theory based on the Dirac equation, computational tools and their application to the analysis of experimental data.
- "Termination of rotational bands: Disappearance of Quantum Many-body collectivity," A.V. Afanasjev et al., Phys. Rep. 322 (1999) 1-124
- "Relativistic Hartree-Bogoliubov theory: Static and Dynamic aspects of exotic nuclear structure", D.Vretenar, A.V.Afanasjev et al, Phys. Rep. 409 (2005) 101-259
Publications in Refereed Journals
- "Cranked relativistic Hartree-Bogoliubov theory: formalism and application to the superdeformed bands in the A~190 region," A.V. Afanasjev et al., Nucl. Phys. A676 (2000) 196.
- "Time-odd mean fields in rotating frame: microscopic nature of nuclear magnetism,", A.V. Afanasjev et al, Phys. Rev. C62, R031302, (2000).
- "Cranked relativistic Hartree-Bogoliubov theory: Probing the gateway to superheavy nuclei," A.V. Afanasjev et al, Phys. Rev. C67, 1 (2003)
- "Description of rotating N=Z nuclei in terms of isovector pairing", A.V. Afanasjev et al, Phys. Rev. C 71 (2005) 1-17
- "Evidence for non-termination of rotational bands in 74Kr", J.J.Valiente-Dobon et al, Phys. Rev. Lett. 95 (2005) 232501
Selected Presentations at the Conferences/Workshops
"Cranking Relativistic Hartree-Bogoliubov theory: pairing in rotating nuclei and the problem of proton-neutron pairing", Institute of Nuclear Theory workshop "Pairing degrees of freedom in nuclei and the problem of proton-neutron pairing" (invited talk) pdf
"Superheavy nuclei: relativistic mean field outlook", International conference on finite fermionic systems: Nilsson model 50 years June 14-18, 2005, Lund, Sweden (invited talk) powerpoint