Professor, Computational Physics
237 Hilbun Hall
Mississippi State, MS 39762
- (662) 325-8031
- EmailEmail Seong-Gon Kim
Dr. Seong-Gon Kim is a Professor in the Department of Physics & Astronomy at Mississippi State University.
- Bipin Lamichhane, 2019 MS, PhD TBD
- Chandani Nandadasa, Current Postdoctoral Associate, 2013 MS, 2017 PhD
- Vivek Dikshit, 2011 MS, 2015 PhD
- Ph. D., Physics, Michigan State University, 1994
- M.S., Physics, Michigan State University, 1988
- B.S., Physics, Seoul National University, 1986
- 2013-present: Professor, Mississippi State University
- 2011-present: Director, High Performance Computing Collaboratory (HPC2), Mississippi State University
- 2015-present: Invitation Professor, Center for Integrated Nanostructure Physics, SungKyunKwan University, South Korea
- 2015-present: Visiting Professor, Department of Energy Science, SungKyunKwan University, South Korea
- 2008-2013: Associate Professor, Mississippi State University
- 2008-2011: Associate Director, High Performance Computing Collaboratory (HPC2), Mississippi State University
- 2002-2008: Assistant Professor, Mississippi State University
- 2002-2008: Assistant Director, High Performance Computing Collaboratory (HPC2), Mississippi State University
- 2000-2001: Director of Technology, WiseNut, Inc., Santa Clara, CA
- 2000-2000: Research Assistant Professor, Vanderbilt University, TN
- 1996-1999: Postdoctoral Associate, Naval Research Laboratory
- 1994-1996: Research Associate, Michigan State University
- Computational physics; first-principles methods; Density Functional Theory; highperformance computing
- Electronic and structural properties of materials; molecular dynamics and structure optimization
- Nanoscale devices; molecular electronic devices; nanotubes and fullerenes; semiconductors; hydrogen catalysis
- Multiscale molecular dynamics simulations; Materials design of metal alloys and steels
- Magnetic materials; ferromagnetic-ferroelectric multiferroic materials
- Application of connectivity analysis to extremely large database and Internet search engines
- Rohit Kaul, Marcin Kadluczka, Yeogirl Yun, and Seong-Gon Kim, “Method for assigning relative quality scores to a collection of linked documents,” United States Patent 7,797,344 (Sep 14, 2010).
- Rohit Kaul, Yeogirl Yun, and Seong-Gon Kim, “Method for assigning quality scores to documents in a linked database,” United States Patent 7,668,822 (Feb 23, 2010).
- Seong-Gon Kim, Sudong Chung, Anurag Dod, Michael Kim, and Yeogirl Yun, “Systems and methods of retrieving relevant information” United States Patent 7,356,530 (Apr 8, 2008).
- Yeogirl Yun, Seong-Gon Kim, Rohit Kaul, and Marcin Kadluczka, “Systems and methods of retrieving topic specific information,” United States Patent Application 2006/0074910 (Apr 6, 2006).
- Seong-Gon Kim, Sudong Chung, Daeho Baek, “Apparatus and method that categorize a collection of documents into a hierarchy of categories that are defined by the collection of documents ,” United States Patent Application 2002/0169770 (Nov 14, 2002).
- Yujin Seong, Youngkyu Kim, Im Doo Jung, See Jo Kim, Sungho Kim, Seong-Gon Kim, Hak Jun Kim; Seong Jin Park, "A Yield Criterion for Metals Subjected to High Strain Rates and High Temperatures for a Multiscale Simulation", under review for publication in Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology.
- Chandani N. Nandadasa, SeHwang Kang, Jae-Yeol Hwang, Jongho Park, Gyeongtak Han, Kyu Hyoung Lee, Sang-Ho Oh, Young-Min Kim, Sung Wng Kim, Steven C. Erwin, and Seong-Gon Kim, “Real-space separation of conduction electrons at the metal-metal interface of hafniumsulfide electride”, pre-print.
- Sunghun Kim, Chan-young Lim, Jounghoon Hyun, Wonshik Kyung, Jonathan D. Denlinger, Seong-Gon Kim, Sung Wng Kim, and Yeong Kwan Kim, “Floating twodimensional electron gas on the positively charged surface”, pre-print.
- Se Hwang Kang, Yunwei Zhang, Yanming Ma, Chandani N. Nandadasa, Gyeongtak Han, Kyu Hyoung Lee, Sang-Ho Oh, Seong-Gon Kim, Young-Min Kim, and Sung Wng Kim, “Self-passivated dihafnium sulfide electride enabling a persistent electrocatalytic reaction in water”, submitted to Nature Materials.
- Vivek Dixit, Dinesh Thapa, Bipin Lamichhane, Chandani N. Nandadasa, Yang-Ki Hong, and Seong-Gon Kim, “Site preference and magnetic properties of Zn-Snsubstituted strontium hexaferrite”, J. Appl. Phys. 125, 173901 (2019) (DOI: 10.1063/1.5084762).
- Seung Yong Lee, Jae-Yeol Hwang, Jongho Park, Chandani N. Nandadasa, Yonghak Kim, Kimoon Lee, Kyu Hyoung Lee, Yunwei Zhang, Yanming Ma, Hideo Hosono, Young Hee Lee, Seong-Gon Kim, and Sung Wng Kim, “Ferromagnetic quasi-atomic electrons in two-dimensional electride”, under review, Nature Comm.
- Laalitha S. I. Liyanage, Seong‐Gon Kim, Jeff Houze, Sungho Kim, Mark A. Tschopp, Michael I. Baskes, Mark F. Horstemeyer, “From Electrons to Atoms: Designing an Interatomic Potential for Fe–C Alloys,” Chapter 2 in “Integrated Computational Materials Engineering (ICME) for Metals: Concepts and Case Studies,” edt. M. Horstemeyer, John Wiley & Sons (2018). (DOI:10.1002/9781119018377)
- 2010: 2010 StatePride Faculty Award, Mississippi State University.
- 2009: Named as the delegate of Michigan State University to attend the inauguration of Dr. Mark Keenum as the 19th president of Mississippi State University.
- 2008: December/January's Researcher of the Month, College of Arts & Sciences, Mississippi State University.
- 2008: 2008 Henry Family Dean's Eminent Scholar Award at Mississippi State University.
- 2008: Certificate of Appreciation, Mississippi State University, Increasing Minority Access to Graduate Education (IMAGE) and the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE).
- 2007: Outstanding Researcher of the Year, Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems, Mississippi State University.
- 2005: Inducted to full membership of Sigma Xi Society.
- 2002: Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award.
- 1988: Elected to membership in the ΦΚΦ honor's society for outstanding academic achievements, Michigan State University.